Mudhi Mansa is a famous food in north Odisha. it particularly comes from Baripada, a small town in the Mayurbhanj district.
People have an emotional attachment to this meal and take pride in their “Mudhi Mansa.” It must be served with puffed rice (mudhi) and mutton gravy combined with onions, green chilies, and fresh coriander.
There are many legends surrounding the history of Baripada’s ‘Mudhi Mansa.’ Some say it was a gift from the Mughals, while others say the Mayurbhanj ruler discovered it.
- Goat Meat (Khasi)250 gms
- 1 no Large Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
- 1 no Tomato chopped(optional)
- Mustard Oil 1 cup
- Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder 2 tsp
- meat masala
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 2 tsp – cumin powder
- 1 tsp – Sugar (optional)
- salt(as per taste)
- 1 no Cinnamon Stick
- 1 no of Bay Leaf
- 2 nos of Cardamoms
- 2-3 nos of Cloves
- 1 no of Potato, peel and cut into halve (optional)
- Mudhi (Puffed Rice) 2 cups
preparation Procedure :
- Marinate goat meat (Khasi)with turmeric powder, red chili powder, and 4 tsp mustard oil for 2-3 hrs.
- In a pressure cooker, heat mustard oil over high heat until the mustard smell disappears.
- Potatoes should be shallow fried and set aside.
- In the same oil, caramelize the sugar, then add all of the spices ( cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves)Add onions when it is cooked look browny then add ginger & garlic paste, and then u can add tomato. Allow it to become soft and mushy.
- Then add cumin powder. coriander powder and meat masala.
- Then add the marinated meat and season with salt to taste and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles with 1 cup of water
- Add Garam masala and then Serve with Mudhi (Puffed Rice) and a sprinkling of chopped tomatoes, onion, and green chile.
Note: If you use a clay pot to prepare this mutton curry, tastes so delicious.